Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha
Super sparkle inspiration
lez be real pals, i get really fucking bogged down sometimes. i have recently started to realize that having whimsical experiences and having heart connections with others are coping mechanisms form me and make me feel ‘spiritually rich’ as jessica would say. here are some examples of how i…
Printing this out!! So great! So succinct.
The Importance of Checking In
Checking in with yourself is an act of self-affirmation, a way of reminding yourself that your inner being matters. It is also a way of giving yourself credit for all your efforts. Some good times to check in with yourself include: when you are being triggered, right after talking about what you’ve experienced, right after a therapy session, etc.
Suggestions for How to Check In
- Think about the following questions/statement, and if you journal, consider writing your answers.
- What are you thinking right now?
- How are you feeling? Empowered, drains, frightened, ashamed, hopeful, angry, or some other feeling? Recognize these feelings as valid and true.
- What physical discomforts are you experiencing?
- Do you need to contact a trusted friend or seek medical care?
- If you are feeling very frightened, afraid or distressed what can you do right now to take care of yourself emotionally, physically, or mentally?
- Acknowledge the work you have done thus far in healing.
- Share your happiness or joy with someone close to you.This exercise adapted from here.
Followers, what are some ways you check in with yourself? Do you have any suggestions for others? What works for you and what doesn’t? What has been your experience with checking in? Is it beneficial for you? Or try these tips and lets us know how they worked! Submit your story or ask questions!
What I did not do tonight:
Feminist dance party djed by MEN’s JD Samson.
What I did instead:
Wrote 3/4s of a blog post.
Almost finished with home mani-pedi.
Dyed my hair.
Made two batches of Christmas cookies for a Christmas cookie party with my niece in Philly tomorrow night. (One is “Will You Marry Me” cookies, one is “White House Ginger Snaps”, both from cooking channel website.) These cookies also served to make my house smell awesome, which is great for self care days.
Finished my lesson plan for tomorrow’s class (six week class teaching high school aged Girl Scouts how to be visionaries). [Not really self care to do “work” but still felt good to get it done.]
Strategized with my roommate and asked for help with project of shelf installation on my living room walls. Goal is to have shelves installed and living room together by next Saturday.
Spoke with my bestie Rachael from Atlanta (Pop Priestess on the Tumblrs) on the phone for an hour.
The result? I feel more clarity about my life and feel happier than I have in a week. Self care for the win.
I needed this. Hope it helps you!
Self care according to the senses:
Scent. Burn scented candles or incense. Pick some fresh flowers or herbs for your home (basil = heaven). Fry onions or garlic if it’s your thing (it’s definitely mine). If you can afford to, buy some…
210 Things to Do Instead of Cutting: http://www.secrettalk.com/secrets/210-things-to-do-instead-of-cutting/14316931/
Raising My Boychick: Thoughts on Radical Acceptance: …